Subject: Re: sendmail configuration
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1995 14:13:54
>>>>> "Time" == Time Keeper <Erik> writes:

Time> On the systems I used to be responsible for (apple.com, and some
Time> others there), I ran sendmail -q out of cron, moderated by a
Time> script that set up locks to limit the number of queue runners to
Time> some (low) number. The trouble with the '-q30m' argument to the
Time> daemon process is that if your queue gets large, you can have a
Time> potentially unlimited number of queue runner processes, and
Time> that's not good for overall system throughput. As someone else
Time> pointed out, "cron" is intended for invoking things that need to
Time> run periodically.

Time> You still have that danger with sendmail -bd (unlimited
Time> children), but there's no way to fix that without hacking on the
Time> sendmail sources.

	I'm positive that I have configured some systems on which
there are arguements within 'sendmail.cf' that allow you to set limits
on the load-averages under which sendmail will send and receive mail.
I'm pretty sure, too, that this was BSDI (at least most recently).
Given the similarity of the to OS's, I'd suspect (although I can't
verify at the momment) that NetBSD has a similar ability.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |