Subject: lockd issues (Re: Playing Audio CDs under NetBSD/sparc!)
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1995 12:56:07
> Do you mean that Sun now does locking in the kernel under Slowlaris as
> opposed to SunOS, or do you mean that Sun has always done it in kernel
> space instead of user space?
>
> If the former, then why does Solaris still need /usr/lib/nfs/lockd?
>
> If the latter, then why do either of them need a lockd?  Should not locking
> be automagically received, or does the daemon need to sit in user space
> to field the requests?
>
> And if the lockd is just sitting there fielding requests, why should there
> be more than one instantiation of lockd?  I have yet to see an implementation
> which does this.

The lockd implementation for Solaris has been completely re-written from
scratch in Solaris 2.5 by a long-time friend of mine, David Robinson at Sun.
I've known David for over 10 years and he has experience with Suns going back
to the Sun-1.  Questions about the details of Sun's implementation of the
locking stuff should probably go to him, at David.Robinson@Eng.Sun.COM.

	- Greg