Subject: Re: nfs is hell
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1995 11:15:43
Frank van der Linden writes:
> Quoting Robert Dobbs,

> > Are there any suggestions for 'nice' nfs settings that don't lock up
> > the machine when a server crashes?  Even nqnfs locks solid on the attempt
> > to kill the process.  Where to start to fix the code to not be so evil?

> Have you tried the -i (interruptible) and -s ('soft') flags to an NFS
> mount (see mount_nfs(8)) ? They may help you in cases like this. It's been
> a while since I have tried those myself, though.

Interruptable is OK (as long as the user is aware that an interrupt
can lose data).
Soft can lose your data without your interaction. This is not so good.
Take your pick on which one you prefer.

--
Luke Mewburn <luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>
"Concealment is never as hard as people think, you must understand that. It's