Subject: Re: kern/1042: Some serial cards hang on first open if data is in FIFO
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@comp.vuw.ac.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/25/1995 10:36:01
Could someone say whether kern/1042, submitted in early July by Scott Reynolds
<scottr@Plexus.COM> might make it into 1.1?

This patch certainly works for me.  If I have a modem connected to a com port
and powered on when I reboot my (micronics based) system, it wedges in the
ttyflags command (presumably this is the first open of the port), and needs a
hard reset.

If the modem is connected but powered off during the boot the system comes up
fine.

I guess something in the serial port initialisation causes the modem to
generate a spurious character which ends up in the FIFO triggering the SMC
37C665 bug pointed out by Scott.

Duncan