Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/1995 01:51:31
I am of the mind that zone transfers are simply far too expensive to be
performed every time getpwent() has to look something up by Hesiod.  They
could also potentially cause the process requesting to consume positively
enormous amounts of memory, unless the list were cached on disk.

Someone just suggested to me on the telephone that if all machines running
Hesiod were to be secondaries for the zones they needed to do getpwent() in,
this might not lose so badly, though we might have to teach our getpwent()
a bit more about named's internals than seems elegant.

Thor