Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1995 22:27:00
> To begin with, I don't think that the way Hesiod is used at MIT is "right".
> At MIT, login uses hes_getpwnam() to get the user's password entry, and then
> *adds it to the local /etc/master.passwd* and then runs pwd_mkdb.

Why not just put it in /etc/passwd, which isn't a critical file since
it's derived from /etc/master.passwd?   Admittedly, this is still
somewhat lame, but at least less so...

> What I think I've come to is the realization that if we're going to add
> Hesiod support to NetBSD, we have to declare getpwent() deprecated, add a
> linker warning like for setreuid(), and excise it from our source tree.

I think this is the right thing to do, although I'll probably go down
in flames for saying so.   An alternative would be to maintain a list
in hesiod of all the usernames, and then use that list do implement
getpwent.   Ugly, but it would work.   Ultrix does something like
this.

			       _MelloN_