Subject: Re: Hesiod thoughts
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Out of his mind <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/22/1995 23:57:43
On Sun, 22 Oct 1995, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>

> The unfeasibility of a getpwent() equivalent, however, raises some nasty issues.
> It would be pretty easy to add Hesiod support to getpwnam() and getpwuid(), I
> think, and that at least should be done.  But there are a lot of programs in
> the source tree that use getpwent -- csh being the most important -- and those
> simply _can't_ work with Hesiod unless rewritten to use getpwnam() or
> getpwuid(), which does at least seem feasible.

The student public access ULTRIX and OSF/1 machines here at the
University of Florida run with similar systems; getpwent() cycles through
the local passwd file only, whereas getpwnam() and getpwuid() can access
the full passwd records on the cluster. I doubt anyone would have an
objection to replacing getpwent() calls, as cycling through passwd files
is really only necessary if you really do have a local passwd file. :)

=====
== Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com): In cyberspace no one can hear you scream. ==
=== Plug: I do freelance C/Perl *IX programming and WWW design. E-mail me ===
=== Vierling's Law: The revolution won't be televised; it will be posted. ===