Subject: PCVT beep changes pitch in 3.32
To: None <hm@hcs.de>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/1995 00:02:55
I have been running NetBSD with PCVT in it for over a year.  Of
course, over most of that time version 3.00 was what was provided with
NetBSD, and that's what I ran.

Now, running current, I just got a kernel running with v3.32 of PCVT
in it (since that is now the version supplied with current).

I got used to the sound of the beep while running 3.00 all those
months.  Now, with 3.32, the beep is a noticably lower frequency, yet
the PCVT_SYSBEEPF variable is exactly the same number in both the old
and new configuration headers.  And, I have never defined it myself in
the config file.  I want the old sound back!

Something timing related must have changed somewhere else inside PCVT?
Can you tell me what it will take to get the old sound back?  Did some
other timing parameter get changed in a way that would give a
different multiplier to the PCVT_SYSBEEPF variable?  I'd rather not do
the tedious build kernel, reboot, listen to beep, repeat cycle.

I suppose it's possible that something timing-related in the NetBSD
kernel code could have changed, also, but it just seems like such an
incredible coincidence that I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks for any help you can lend!  And thanks for all the excellent
work on PCVT.

				--Michael

     NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4,
                           DEC PMAX (MIPS), DEC Alpha, PC532
     NetBSD ports in progress: VAX, Atari 68k, others...