Subject: Re: ifconfig alias routing problems...
To: None <perry@piermont.com, randy@zyzzyva.com, rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1995 14:42:24
> It has been suggested that perhaps I need to be setting a netmask as well..

I would like to repeat that suggestion.

> As pointed out in earlier mail, these aliases are accessible from the
> outside world, but not on the local machine.

I've been playing a bit with aliases (albeit on 1.0) and I got very
funny results when I left out the netmask. For instance, the source
address for outgoing connections would differ depending on whether I
connected to a machine inside or outside the class B network I'm in.
Interestingly enough, this behaviour persisted even after I deleted
the alias. Packets were sent out with a sender address that it didn't
respond to anymore...

Furthermore, I think that the "alias" option name is misleading. The
address set *last*, i.e. the alias, is the one used for outgoing
connections. I would not call this the behaviour of an alias but of a
primary address.

-Olaf.
--
___              Copyright 1995 Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert. All Rights Reserved.
\X/    You are not allowed to read this using any kind of Micro$oft product.