Subject: Re: ifconfig alias routing problems...
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/1995 19:00:42

> Randy Terbush writes:
> > > Is the ARP request completing (i.e. is the NetBSD box with the alias
> > > address properly responding to ARP requests for both addresses)?
> > >
> > > Erik Fair
> > >

> > The aliased addresses are *not* in the arp table even after forcibly
> > deleting and readding the route.
>
> I'll just note that I use host alias IP addresses all the time and
> they are just fine. One complexity that shows up is the need to add
> routes for the alias addrs. You might want to check the patch I
> submitted to /etc/netstart in a PR a while back for the way I set
> things up.
>
> Perry

I am using your method, however it may be an earlier version.

>From /etc/netstart:

if [ -f /etc/hostaliases ]; then
(
    set -- `cat /etc/hostaliases`

    while [ $# -ge 2 ] ; do
        ifconfig $1 inet alias $2
        route add $2 localhost
        shift 2
    done
 )
fi

>From /etc/hostaliases:

ep0 198.183.2.200
ep0 198.183.2.201
ep0 198.183.2.202

It has been suggested that perhaps I need to be setting a netmask as well..

As pointed out in earlier mail, these aliases are accessible from the
outside world, but not on the local machine.