Subject: Re: sup-server brokenness...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@telstra.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/1995 18:39:57
> >It would probably be a good idea to either:
> >a) Give mirror-site sups precedence, and/or

> As far as I know, *official* mirrors have always had unrestricted
> access through a different (confidential) sup port.  They don't
> compete with users for connections.  We certainly did at
> ftp.iastate.edu (but we only mirrored, we didn't serve sup
> connections).  Sup mirrors should be up to date by now if they were
> configured correctly to begin with.

Except that the "confidential" port number from sun-lamp doesn't work,
the default port doesn't work, and I've not yet heard back on the
current supdebug port to use. However, my mirror is almost in sync.

On a different issue. Sup needs work in the following areas. In a few
days I'll have time to co-ordinate and implement these:
- support for md5 checksums
- support for gzip compression
- supfilesrv needs much better syslog(3) support
- partially complete transactions need to be logged, so you don't have
  to go through hours of "updating file ..." when you remove the last
  & when files to ensure that you're in sync
- code needs cleaning up to enhance portability (Solaris 2, Linux,
  HP-UX, OSF-1, Ultrix, etc)

I don't know if current-users is the proper forum to discuss this
latter issue. I've set replies to tech-misc for now.

--
Luke Mewburn                            UNIX Technical Support
<luke.mewburn@itg.telstra.com.au>     CPR Project, ITG, Telstra.