Subject: Re: Weirdness after a disk death
To: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
From: Head Anarchy Conquest Knight Esquire of the Realm <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1995 09:52:16
The thing of "Login incorrect" and "Sorry" looks like something in your
kernel is having difficulty attaching /dev/tty to your console.

#define AUTHOR "vuori@sci.fi (Valtteri Vuorikoski)"

/*
 *  On friday, my 0827 -current kernel died with a panic: bad dir, and
 * I let it do sync, which failed (syncing disks... 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 [etc]),
 * after which it said that it was doing a kernel dump, and then rebooted.
 * Afterwards, the superblock on the root partition was gone, and after I
 * got the system booted from another disk, most of the root partition turned
 * out to be screwed, and some damage to the bigger home partition according
 * to fsck. I re-mkfs'ed the root partition because it was causing panics
 * even after fsck said there was nothing wrong with it, and after I got
 * things reinstalled onto it, the system had developed the following problems:
 *
 *  - both login and su don't prompt for password. After entering a username
 * for an account with a password at the login:-prompt, it just says 'Login
 * incorrect' without a password-prompt. su just says 'Sorry'. I've replaced
 * my libs, my login binary, my su binary, my getty, my init, my gettytab
 * and rebuilt the password dbs and tried a few kernels, but to no avail,
 * the same thing still happens. I'm on console, neither getpwuid() nor
 * getpass() had any problems in test programs. The terminal type is set
 * to vt220.
 *
 *  - serial ports don't work anymore. When I boot to single-user, they work
 * for some time, but then they suddenly stop (before ttyflags is ran, the
 * modem has its rts/cts lights on while booting and in single-user. They
 * also turn off). Trying to cu -l /dev/tty00 -s 9600 says 'Connected',
 * but nothing is getting to the modem, and exiting cu gets it stuck in
 * 'exiting' state in ttyout.
 *
 *  This is NetBSD/mac68k, and before the crash I had it setup pretty much
 * similarly, and I'd never seen these problems. The same kernel had been
 * running most of the time since 0827.
 *
 * (I sent a mail to port-mac68k on friday, but it looks like the
 * weekend-long network outage got it)
 *
 * --
 * 'Good-bye and hello, as always'
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "vuori@sci.fi (Valtteri Vuorikoski)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
"Windows/NT - From the people who brought you EDLIN".