Subject: Re: Linux-emulation, which shlib-loader
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=C5ge_R=F8bekk?= <aagero@ifi.uio.no>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 10/10/1995 08:51:09
> It seems like netbsd uses /emul/linux/lib/ld.so no matter what type
> of executable the binary file is, ld.so is used for a.out and ld-linux.so.1
> should be used for ELF binaries. There should be some runtime check for magic
> in the binaries.

Nope, this is not true, in fact it can't be true, because the name of the
loader is contained within a special section in an ELF executable.. So
if you have an ELF binary that tries to use a loader by the same name as
the a.out binaries do, someone linked it to made it do so.

It could be that the names of loaders are conflicting while Linux is
switching over to the ELF format. Also, using an a.out ld.so to
load an ELF executable won't work. The Linux kernel has some code
for this, but I have never seen it in practice, and did not implement it,
especially not since it would have meant a special-case hack in
the MI ELF code.

- Frank