Subject: Re: Yet another BSD, is it necessary?
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1995 14:18:29
> As I believe this is a bad thing for the NetBSD project as a whole I'd
> like that this splinter-project did not happen.  Therefore I'd like
> core to go to extreme lengths to not make this happen.  I'd put this
> work on a higher priority than 1.1, when it's ready, it's ready.  I
> also ask Theo to reconsider his last positions in this dispute for
> our, the users, sake.

It is a nightmare senario. It would severly damage the whole BSD camp. However
it is not Theo that is wrong here. Theo is a bright kernel
consultant and alot of NetBSD is down to Theo. The sparc port has more or
less stopped making advances that is should have made a long time ago
because Theo doesn't have commit access. NetBSD is supposed to be about
giving Unix to the people, Theo has many fixes, and indeed even complete new
ports that he has been working on that would benefit the project beyond
belief.

> Another thing that I'd like to bring up, is that the notion of people
> with CVS access should be seen as spokesmen for the NetBSD project.
> Good coders are not necessarily good PR-guys.  The only requirements
> valid on people wanting CVS access should be technical merits IMO.

Fully agreed upon.

> I had to say this, I will be silent for a while now.  If people have
> opinions we have to find a better forum for this than current-users.
> Proposals?  The forum must reach core and the users, otherwise it's
> wasted.  I'm afraid my effort is futile, as there seem to be quite
> some pride involved in this dispute, but I had to try, at least, as
> I'm still a believer of democracy and humility.

There is no argument anymore, all that is left is people who's egos have
gotten too big.

> Well If I hear nothing, I will accept the fact that people want Theo
> to start a new project.  But do you?

If Theo starts a new project, I will have no choice but to atleast try it
out, if it gives me what I need, and I think it will. Then I'll be
installing the new version of BSD.

This is a plea to core:

                    SORT THIS OUT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

Regards,
Neil.

--
Neil J. McRae.                                            Demon Internet
neil@demon.net