Subject: Before and after the 1.1 release
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Charles Hannum <Charles-Hannum@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/05/1995 11:02:13
I figured that people would want to know what I was up to, so here you
are.  In addition to the following items, there are several bug
reports that I need to investigate.  I don't know how much time I'll
have to do this.

Here are the things on my list to implement or integrate before the
1.1 release, along with their status:

* AIC 7[78]70 support.  I've fixed several bugs in this driver, and
given a copy to someone to test.  This will probably only support the
2940 for now.

* VM86 and kernel stack changes.  The latter part of this is really
the majority of the changes, and I'd like to get that in.  Mostly,
this is just integrating the changes that John Kohl and I already did.

* PCMCIA support.  This is going to be difficult in its current state.

Here are things other people are working on:

* PCVT 3.32.  Pretty simple; should be done soon.

* WD7000 support.  Close, but it needs a little work yet before it can
be integrated.

* Kerberos, for real.  I'll let the culprit speak for himself.  B-)

Here are things that would be nice to have, but probably won't make
it unless someone else does the work:

* Bounce buffers.  All of the other bus-mastering drivers need to be
updated.  Note also that on EISA machines, we don't need to bounce in
many cases, because there's an extra register for the upper 8 bits of
the DMA address.  (I haven't had time to look at the PR, so this may
have been addressed already.)

* IDE CD-ROM support.  There was a version of this in the works, but
it got dropped on the floor.

* Dialout devices.  The bulk of this should be done in some
machine-independent way so that it can be reused easily.  Someone has
sent me changes to do the locking in getty(8), which I will probably
integrate, but this needs to be revisited later.

* Corrected disk and tty statistics in vmstat, iostat, and pstat.

Here are things that aren't going to make it, for various reasons:

* BIND 4.9.  It's still officially in testing.

* ncurses.  Needs work; J.T. knows more about this.

* sendmail 8.7.  The thought of a .0 release actually being stable is
... laughable.

* GCC 2.7.  Ditto, plus it has known code generation bugs on some of
our architectures.

If you have any additions or corrections to this list, let me know.