Subject: Re: How to set outbound address?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Irving Reid <irving@border.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/1995 16:17:26
> Currently, when I make TCP connections to the outside world, the source
> address is that of my PPP interface, which has an address belonging to
> my ISP, as well as something of a funny name (funhouse-gw.ultra.net).
> Is there a really obvious way to cause outgoing connections to have a
> source that is an address in my own class C space?

I think the PPP in NetBSD is smart enough to allow you to use the same
IP address for your PPP and internal (Ethernet or whatever) interfaces.
 The routing tables can tell which interface to use by the destination
address.

This means you don't need to set aside an entire subnet just for the
point-to-point link.

You may need to reconfigure your ISP to talk directly to your internal
IP address instead of the number they issued to you.

 - irving -