Subject: kernel name (was: savecore error; modload panics)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/1995 14:24:43
> Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com> writes:
>
>   Second, if I run modload in
> >/etc/rc.local (both XFree86-3.1.1 and XFree86-3.1.2, ap.o and ap-current.o),
> >the kernel panics, dumps, and reboots.
>
> This can happen if you have a kernel named /netbsd, but boot a
> different kernel.  Anything that uses kvm will break in this case; but
> LKMs are especially susceptible.

This prompts me to ask if there is any way that you can figure out which
kernel image is actually in use. (hopefully there is a mi way.)

If so, rc could perhaps symlink /netbsd to whichever kernel is running
and stop lkm and kvm breaks, which effectiely have _PATH_UNIX
hardcoded into them

David Leonard                            BE(Comp)/BCompSc 5th year student
The University of Queensland             s160828@student.uq.edu.au
perl -e 'for $c(split(//,"BILLGATES\003")){$s+=ord($c)};print $s."\n"'