Subject: Disappearing files in union mount
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1995 06:09:44
Scenario: I've mounted a source tree below my own directory, and in order to
get things to compile correctly I had to modify one of the source files.
Later I got the updates to the source, so I want to delete the file that has
my changes and use the new source file.  However, if I delete my copy of the
file, the filesystem acts as if the file no longer exists, and I can't see
the original file unless I list the source directory.

How do I make that file visible again?  "cat ." shows two copies of the
filename I deleted, but ls shows nothing.  I tried "ln sourcedir/file .",
but that locked up the filesystem so my shell would no longer respond.
Trevin Beattie              "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com         for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                         --unknown