Subject: Re: TTYs and 7E1
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.ping.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/1995 08:21:14
On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> ->I was also told that the sgtty interface on NetBSD doesn't have any bugs
> ->that cause the odd behaviour, but that the interface is too limited for
> ->today's needs.  The solution is 'to port the programs to use termios'.
>
> I want to know whom this Statement is from ;:-)

That statement is a close approximation of what I said.  The sgtty
interface isn't really buggy in that it does what it was designed to do;
what it *wasn't* designed to do is what is causing the problems.  It's
unfortunate that the code has to make an assumption of what
characteristics the line has (because there just isn't enough info in
struct sgttyb).

Speaking from experience, converting free software to termios is trivial
in general, because most packages support at least SysV termio.
Converting from sgtty to termios is a little bit of (admittedly tedious
but not generally difficult) work.

--scott