Subject: XFree86 3.1.1 display or keyboard problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/1995 18:49:10
I'm running XFree86 3.1.1, using the Mach32 accelerator, on NetBSD-current.
I'm not sure if I've configured something wrong; it works great when I log
in as root in text mode and run xdm manually.  But if I load xdm through
rc.local, I have one of two problems:

1) If getty is not run at the end of rc.local, X will not draw any bitmaps.
Bitmapped backgrounds, cursors, highlights, icons, and images are all left
to whatever was behind the drawing region.  (It's so annoying to try to
position an invisible scrollbar with a long white rectangle that has no
obvious hotspot.)

2) If I add getty after xdm, X will run just fine for 5-10 minutes except
when I'm typing at the same time as the disk is busy.  If that happens, I
either lose characters or the buffered input will come out reversed.  After
the 'time bomb' goes off, I lose all keyboard input completely - except that
I know the keyboard interrupt handler is still functioning because I can
toggle the keyboard LED's.

Should I be running something besides getty?  Any ideas what is causing the
behavior in either case?
Trevin Beattie              "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com         for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                         --unknown