Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 Release Plans
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1995 16:54:44
In article <199509260906.KAA01111@skiff.hsc-sec.fr>,
Marc Baudoin  <Marc.Baudoin@hsc.fr.net> wrote:
> Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> writes:
> >
> > I dunno. I suggested "NetBSD-4.5" but was poopoo'd...
>
> Please don't call it NetBSD 95 ;-)

Ha! too late. I know I'm going to get in trouble with the core group for
this, but I'm going to reveal their secrets: it's been their plan to
call the next release NetBSD '95 all along, and JT's post was an attempt
to mislead people about the name (remember when MS used to talk about
Windows 4.0?), but those in the know have long suspected that the next
release (which is codenamed "Cleveland") was going to be called NetBSD
'95.

Also in the works is a hush-hush project for a separate, more powerful
version called NetBSD NT, featuring SMP support, an enhanced ccd with
RAID 5 support, better security, and more. This project is codenamed
"Dayton".

I don't even dare give details of the ultra-secret advanced NetBSD
projects underway (codenames are Punxsutawney, Walla Walla,
Poughkeepsie, and Sheboygan), but I will reveal that the REAL reason
cgd left the core team is to head up the new NetUI user interface
group, which is working on a user-hostile interface known internally as
"Brooklyn". "Brooklyn" is a gesture-based technology based on American
Sign Language (well, actually the *other* American sign language...)

Ty

(off to say 10 "Hail Grace Hopper"'s in pennance for wasting
bandwidth...)