Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 Release Plans
To: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
From: Brain fried. Explanation is in file "core". <greywolf@aahz.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/26/1995 09:45:30
#define AUTHOR "mrg@mame.mu.Oz.Au (matthew green)"

/*
 *
 *    (Incidentally, since it has been a long time since 1.0, I think NetBSD
 *    can get away with calling this release 2.0, if we want to keep up on
 *    major version numbers with you-know-who ;->)
 *
 * i totally disagree.  if anything we should call it 4.5

Well, since it doesn't really seem to diverge all that much from 4.4, and
since 4.4-Lite might have been called 4.4.1 (and Son-of-Lite (lite2) might
have been called 4.4.2), perhaps we should call it 4.4.2.x...

[Nonononononono, let's not do that and say we didn't...]

Gee, maybe 4.5 makes some sense after all, although I think 4.4.0 (slightly
different from 4.4) would fit NetBSD 1.0, 4.4.1 would fit 1.1 (my first
paragraph notwithstanding).

When we rewhack major parts of the kernel for performance enhancements,
*THEN* I could see us going to 4.5...

(Of course, you realize that 4.5 > V.{anything}, still...)

 * :-)
 *

:-)

[We're wasting WAYYYY too much time on this thread this morning...]

 *
 *
 * .mrg.
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mrg@mame.mu.Oz.Au (matthew green)" */

				--*greywolf;
--
System V Release 4 /MIS tem FIVE re LEES FORE/ n. 1.  An operating system so
hideously huge, bloated and driven by marketing rather than performance or