Subject: READ THIS: system call prototypes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 09/19/1995 18:06:12
Folks ...

I just finished checking in changes necessary to prototype the system
call switch.  Due to the nature of some of these changes (most notably,
to kern_exit.c), it will be necessary to reconfigure (i.e. `config FOO')
your kernel; the Makefiles for all ports have changed to include the
compiler option `-fno-builtin'.  If you don't reconfigure your kernel, it
won't (or, at least, shouldn't) compile.

Also, ports which were previously not compiled with `-Werror' now are.
This will make errors in the prototyping process easier to catch, and is
generally a good idea, anyhow.

In short, system calls went from being declared like this:

int
foo(p, uap, retval)
	struct proc *p;
	struct foo_args /* {
		syscallarg(int) bar;
	} */ *uap;
	register_t *retval;
{
	[ . . . ]

int
foo(p, v, retval)
	struct proc *p;
	void *v;
	register_t *retval;
{
	struct foo_args /* {
		syscallarg(int) bar;
	} */ *uap = v;

	[ . . . ]

If you happen to catch anything that we missed, please let us know; as
always, send-pr is the preferred method.

Ciao.