Subject: Re: ETEXT (was Re: Panic shutting down)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/17/1995 22:16:40
> Right.  But as I understand it, having ETXTBUSY in place wouldn't
> affect things, because install is blowing away the (link to) the old
> binary before installing the new.  (It may do this atomically with
> rename() - I haven't been able to find the source to install.)  So

Its xinstall in the src tree.

I have an install.sh that I've used happily on various machines that
do complain about text busy (and others that don't complain but just
die).

It behaves just like the BSD install, except that without -c, it moves
the old binary aside before installing the new.  You then only use -c
when the target has mutiple hard links that you don't want to disturb
and have take other steps to avoid problems with busy texts.

--sjg