Subject: Re: Strange behavior of sl0 & lo0
To: None <dmaddox@scsn.net>
From: David Carrel <carrel@cisco.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/15/1995 16:57:42
> >I thought this was normal, since interfaces can have multiple addresses,
> >they start with a `base' <Link> entry that netstat finds. Not sure about
> >this but.
>
>     I don't think it *is* normal, since this was not the observed
> behavior before I updated my binaries to 950702.  Prior to that, the
> address provided to me by my ISP simply replaced the <Link> entry and
> there remained a single instance of both sl0 and lo0...

I think you are mis-remembering things.  This behavior is normal and has
been around a long time.  It is certainly present on one of my HP systems
that has not been upgraded since October 94.  I don't remember what NetBSD
0.9 did.

> there is no change in the output of 'netstat -r').  Further, why does it
> *not* delete the route to the inactive lo0?

lo0 is NOT inactive.  Try telneting to "localhost" or to "0".  You'll note
that inactive interfaces have an asterix after their name.

Dave