Subject: Re: Two things: i386 boot code and boot man page
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1995 08:46:04
--
--> From: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegel@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us>
--> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 22:53:24 -0700 (PDT)
--
--[ Where to save reboot parameters until next kernel load... ]
--
--> I honestly don't know where you'd put it except for the MBR, a
--> predesignated sector on the boot device, or in swap (provided the boot

Exactly my point which is why I brought up having a redesignated sector
allocated to this stuff which the boot routine knows of and the system
knows not to pounce on.

Using swap could get messy especially if you use swap files and the reboot/
halt/shutdown/boot routine doesn't know any better.

--
Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg                           gspiegel@ridgecrest.ca.us

"What is the A20 gate? ... I think it's kind of like inheriting baldness
 from your parents.  You learn to live with it." - 32-Bit OS, Burgess