Subject: Two things: i386 boot code and boot man page
To: None <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/14/1995 10:39:00
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 21:24:03 -0400
> From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>

[ How to make the reboot command pass parameters to the next kernel. ]

> James> Note: This is i386-specific, though if other ports have managed
> James> a way around this conundrum, I'm open to suggestions.
>
> 	On many other platforms, the boot command is stored in some
> form of eprom.  On my sun4 platform, the 'eeprom' command would set
> the boot command just fine.  I realize, however, that this doesn't
> help you.

Actually, on a Sun, the reboot command does save parameters for the next
kernel boot, but not in the EEPROM.  The EEPROM holds the default boot
parameters, but the reboot info is stored in RAM used by the PROM monitor.

That doesn't matter particularly, but doing something similar on a PC
might involve finding some place in RAM that can survive a warm boot.
(I am not sure if there is such a place on PCs in general.)

Gordon