Subject: Re: Panic shutting down
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/13/1995 07:01:13
>> Wouldn't it make sense to have the init 'make install' move an
>> existing init if found?
(BTW, IMO yes it would.)

> In regards to overwriting existing binaries which might be in use,
> whatever happened to "Text file busy"?  That would catch any renegade
> makefiles which might be trying to copy onto an in-use binary.  This
> would be handy even in the trivial case of, say, /sbin/init :-)

IMO it wouldn't.  That would prevent the installation of that binary;
in this circumstance I _want_ to replace init.  I just don't want the
kernel to panic over seeing the old inode, kept around by the text
segment reference to it, as it's going down.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu