Subject: Re: Panic shutting down
To: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1995 21:06:27
David Brownlee said:

> [ in reference to the 'install init and reboot' panic problems ]
>
> 	Wouldn't it make sense to have the init 'make install' move an existing
> 	init if found?

perhaps (because it can help get the system working again if for some
reason the new init doesn't end up being installed properly), but
it's orthogonal to the problem.

The same set of crashes could happen on reboot if you play around with
device nodes (as pointed out by others), or if you've got a binary
which is unkillable (e.g. stuck on a hung I/O, or whatever) and has
been installed over or deleted.

moving 'init' doesn't fix the bug, it just makes it harder to trigger.

chris