Subject: Re: strange console message
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1995 07:04:21
> I am running -current 280895 on my Amiga 3000.  Sometimes I get the
> following console message:

> Sep  7 16:51:37 di_frueauf /netbsd: /home: optimization changed from SPACE to TIME

> Can anyone tell me what this means?

Approximately nothing, as far as I can tell.  Traditionally (eg,
4.3BSD), that (and the converse "...TIME to SPACE" message) indicate
that the kernel is frobbing the optimization preference bit as the
filesystem fills up or empties out, either to make things go faster or
make it less likely to run out of space prematurely.

Unfortunately, under NetBSD, it seems to happen at random.  For
example, I've seen a filesystem, while being monotonically filled up,
flip back and forth at least three times between SPACE and TIME (at
least according to the console messages).  So I don't know what the
heck it means now, and indeed I'm considering disabling the message
altogether in the kernel (as one of my private patches).

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu