Subject: serial port login
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 09/12/1995 04:54:18
/usr/bin/login does timeout on 300sec with exit(0), it also stops asking
after 10 false logins with sleepexit(1). But after those happenings the
port isn't usable anymore.

And on the user/scripting level i can't find anything to automaticly detect
and correct it cause the stty looks correct.

If i follow or generate such a false login the getty after that can't be
killed staying on E (The process is trying to exit.) in ps.

To detect a multiple false login i could constandly loop and check
/var/log/messages on: "login: 7 LOGIN FAILURES ON tty01" and the like.

To detect a timed out login i could add logcode to /usr/bin/login
timedout() and loop around this output as well.

I tryed to kill -1, -3, -6, -9 and -15 such a getty process to no avail.

But what to do about a getty staying in the "i'm trying to exit" process?
Or, from the start: how come a timed out login doesn't put my port the way
it was before login started? Or isn't it suppost to be like putting back
what you used?
~n