Subject: Re: CTM - is it available for NetBSD ?
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
From: John Dyson <dyson@freefall.freebsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/1995 23:26:43

> > There's an excellent software update despatch tool called CTM,
> > Do NetBSD now offer a CTM mail despatcher running on their central site ?
> > [...]
>
> The quick answer is no, at least not to my knowledge.
>
> What you describe sounds interesting, but since you provide no
> pointers to any further information (docs, the source to play with,
> etc.) I fail to see how you can expect any NetBSD contributors to
> investigate your suggestion any further.

It might be nice to >politely< ask... The above statement might be taken
more nicely if you would say:

"I don't know where to get CTM, and if you tell me where, the I might
be able to work on it."

:-)

> Please post an ftp site or URL or something, and someone might take a
> look at it. Of course, if you can do some evaluation of the software
> (from an admin point of view) and write up some useful comparisons to
> the current methods, and perhaps come up with a sample implementation
> of a NetBSD CTM server for people to try (and to help you evaluate the
> software from something other than readmes), then please do. It only
> makes it that much easier for someone to look at your suggestion and
> possibly do something with it.

Well, "I" won't be able to help, because I am too busy working on the
FreeBSD kernel, but I can give you a pointer.  It is available directly
in the FreeBSD source tree in  .../usr.sbin/ctm.  Apparently it has
been used to great advantage by FreeBSD users/developers for quite a while.

Good luck!!!

John
dyson@freebsd.org