Subject: Strange Message - SPACE to TIME optimization
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Derrick Hutchinson <derrick1@tribeca.ios.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/09/1995 12:14:09
To the original sender, sorry I accidentally deleted your message so I can
not send this response to you directly. :v{

The message you saw I believe has to do with the system algorithm that
deals with writing data to disk (possibly caching?).  I've seen this
message on NCR systems running a USL port also.  What apparently happens is
that when a filesystem becomes nearly full the system switches its
optimization mode from TIME to SPACE in order to conserve disk space.  Once
space has been freed up on the filesystem (you delete some stuff...) you
should find that the OS will change optimization back from SPACE to TIME.
This apparently is done to enhance system performance when possible, but
once you run low on space the operating system figures it might be a nice
thing to run slower rather than crash altogether! :v)

Anyone with further clarification?

Derrick Hutchinson