Subject: Re: NetBSD setup for a 'semi-firewall'
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@anarres.mame.mu.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1995 16:58:43
> I'm trying to set up my PC532/NetBSD-current system to act as a
> forwarder for app level packets from my Mac II/Sys7.1 to my Internet
> Service Provider.
>
> I've gotten my Mac to connect with the PC532 and properly pass data
> with PPP, and getting my ISP on the line is no big deal.  I'm
> planning on using fwtk from ftp.tis.com to do the app level packet
> forwarding.  However, I'm wondering how to setup DNS for this little
> beastie.  I the 532 will (obviously) be multihomed, and the Mac
> will get it's address from the 532.  But I've never done anything
> with DNS past using nslookup.  How do I set it up so that the PC532
> can lookup addresses on it's own server?  Do I put something bogus
> in /etc/resolv.conf: blank, 127.0.0.1?

simplest thing is to configure named as a cache on the 532, and let
the mac send queries there. Your service provider will have the DNS
entry for the 532's ppp interface, and the mac can just rot without
one.  Otherwise, you could configure the 532 as forwarder for the
other domains, but if it's a fully-fledged (albeit mobile) internet
host, go with a proper cache.

named.boot looks something like this:

directory	/etc/namedb
; type    domain                     source host/file		backup file
cache     .							root.cache
primary   0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA       localhost.rev

(You can probably leave the localhost one out, experiment)

your resolv.conf then points to 127.0.0.1 on the 532.

--
Dan.