Subject: Re: -current binary snapshots, "virtual releases", etc.
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@cloud9.net>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/05/1995 18:26:09
On Mon, 4 Sep 1995, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I really don't see what the difference between what several people are
> proposing to do is, and what I'm already doing.

do you provide a full source & binary (for all platforms) snapshot?

I think it would be useful to have more frequent versions released, and
because it is a lot of work to make a release version, then maybe there
should be another group of people (not core, but release maintainers)
who are responsible for administrating the releases..  I'm sure plenty
of the people who already compile snapshots would be willing to join a
group effort (he says, presumptiously :) instead of going it alone..

I like the idea of a continuous development process though, so I would
propose an extension to this..  instead of having two levels of sources
(current and release), there would be an additional one or two stable
interim versions (where only bugfixes were applied, keeping feature
enrichment back until it is proven somewhat)

from what I've seen though, there are not many panics in the current
sources anyway, so maybe we don't need this.  Does this indicate that
core are too conservative?

Something else that I would like to see would be not links to the places
that binary snapshots are kept, but the actual snapshots mirrored at
netbsd.org - that way it is easy to find and other sites can mirror it
if they wish from a central server.

]ain
(mouth on a stick)