Subject: NetBSD setup for a 'semi-firewall'
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1995 21:51:30
I'm trying to set up my PC532/NetBSD-current system to act as a
forwarder for app level packets from my Mac II/Sys7.1 to my Internet
Service Provider.  (I'm getting tired of always having to unplug
my modem from one machine or the other.)  My ISP dynamically
allocates an IP address everytime I dial up, and I'm sure they
don't want to see packets with a different address than the one
they assigned.  Also, I may or may not connect my Mac.  (Depending
on the needs/whims of the day.)

I've gotten my Mac to connect with the PC532 and properly pass data
with PPP, and getting my ISP on the line is no big deal.  I'm
planning on using fwtk from ftp.tis.com to do the app level packet
forwarding.  However, I'm wondering how to setup DNS for this little
beastie.  I the 532 will (obviously) be multihomed, and the Mac
will get it's address from the 532.  But I've never done anything
with DNS past using nslookup.  How do I set it up so that the PC532
can lookup addresses on it's own server?  Do I put something bogus
in /etc/resolv.conf: blank, 127.0.0.1?

Thanks,
Jon