Subject: counter-intuitive behavior by cp
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1995 23:12:55
Or perhaps counter-clockwise behavior.
Has anyone noticed that if you cp or mv a huge bunch of files (perhaps
something like "cp * /other/directory"), it does the files from the last
one expanded to the first?  Now, I think I understand *why* it does this
(it calls ftw(), which appears to be building a list and uses the easy
"prepend to front" strategy), but it certainly came to a shock to realize
that mv was *not* sorting directories like I've come to expect it to...
(This doesn't really qualify as a bug, but I'm wondering if anyone actually
intended this to be a feature.)