Subject: Re: BIND/Hesiod
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1995 21:58:02
On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, J.T. Conklin wrote:

> > These last 3 days I've been working on a generic nsswitch implementation.
> > The code uses /var/run/nsswitch.db, which is built by ns_mkdb from
> > /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>
> Yow!  Sounds exciting.  Quite honestly, this is what I had hoped for when
> this discussion (nsswitch vs. +) broke out last month.
>
> The nsswitch feature set you've selected sounds great.  Have you done
> any work with the libc internals so that it's easy to drop in another
> database access method (like Hesiod)?  That would make it both a ease
> of use and a technical win over the current scheme.
>
> 	--jtc

I somehow missed the nsswitch vs + discussion last month.  With the
nsswitch is it possible to have a configuration file which specifies for
password entry to first try localfiles, then if that fails try bind, then
if that fails try YP?  Or are you only able to specify one method per
kind of thing to lookup?

johnh...