Subject: Re: Odd ccd(4) problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1995 21:27:07
>> ccdconfig: ioctl (CCDIOCSET): /dev/ccd0d: Device not configured

> Might be the same problem I had; it turns out that the partitions
> that you build your concatenated disk device from must not be marked
> "unused" in their native disks' labels.  [...]

> Actually, I guess this indicates a need for a special "ccd component"
> type entry for disklabel?  Or should the partition simply be marked
> as a "raw" partition, sharing this type with database log partitions
> etc?

Personally, I think ccd has no business looking at those partition
types.  But I definitely think a special ccd-component partition type
is _not_ the way to go; if nothing else, it makes life hard for people
running ports using non-NetBSD disk partitions.  For example, under
NetBSD/sparc on a disk with a SunOS label, there are no partition types
in the label, so it would be impossible to use a ccd that insisted on a
special partition type on such a disk.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu