Subject: Re: detecting -current versions
To: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@spinne.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/03/1995 06:32:35

> Brian Gaeke quoted Kenneth Stailey then commented as follows:
> > > Is there a way to tell what version of -current a machine is running?
> > Does -current have versions?  Usually that amounts to the date of the
> > sup.  You could record the sup date somewhere and then look at that.
> > It may be a nice project for something like that to become standard
> > issue, any takers?
>
> Hmmm... I think the need for this is just a reflection of the need
> for a new release. You could just read ident strings, if it can't wait...
>
> sigh,
> -Brian

This brings up something I've been thinking about recently. Some people have
commented that they would like to run machines and take advantage of the
features in -current, but can't track -current.

When asked what version I would install for someone, I reply 'July 20th'
sources (replace with your favorite sup date). The question that follows is
'Great, where can I get that set of sources'. To which the only answer is
'From me'.

Suppose we come up with a scheme for doing Virtual Releases? (There's that
V word :-)

Basically, as people do now, install sets can be prepared from sources
considered to be fairly stable as of a certain date. These sources get a
virtual release tag (1.0V1 1.0V2 ??) which can be used to track feature
sets and bugs.

This makes it easier to say what sources someone needs to get the feature
set they want. We could also release patches and specify the ranges of
virtual releases they apply to.

I think the Core team would benefit from this, having a more structured
environment could make the final release step easier. Also this is something
that more of us could participate in when we don't have the time/skills to
do some of the more techinical work on NetBSD.

Comments? Questions? Lemon-Meringue?

							David Maxwell
							david@web.net