Subject: Apparent bug in msdosfs
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/1995 07:36:44
>Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 00:02:47 -0400
>From: "John F. Woods" <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
>To: current-users@NetBSD.ORG
>Subject: Apparent bug in msdosfs
>Sender: owner-current-users@NetBSD.ORG
>
>Thinking to compact an apparently fragmented DOOM.WAD on my MSDOS partition,
>I tarred it to tape (under NetBSD, since DOS gnutar is fiendishly slow :-),
>then popped back into MSDOS to FORMAT the partition, and back into NetBSD to
>extract the tape back onto the MSDOS partition.  As a final check, I went
>back into MSDOS and ran CHKDSK, and was rewarded with a whole bunch of
>	C:\DOOM2\DOOMDATA
>		Invalid sub-directory entry
>	C:\DOOMDEVE
>		Invalid sub-directory entry
>messages.  Some of these were empty directories, some of them weren't.
>Fortunately, nothing irreplacable appears to have been damaged (and after all,
>I *do* have it all on tape).
>
>I have a 120MB file containing an image of that partition, if anyone wants
>to try to look at the smoking remains directly (pre CHKDSK).  (I can also
>poke at it myself if someone can tell me what to look for, and would rather
>not FTP 120MB of data...  (it'll probably compress fairly well, though))

I've also noticed occasional directory or FAT corruption when writing to a
DOS partition, so after using NetBSD to update DOS files I always run Norton
Disk Doctor before using DOS again.  Unfortunately I haven't logged all the
problems, but the last one that occurred was when I created a new directory
and somehow NetBSD linked ".." to the new directory instead of the parent.
Trevin Beattie
trevin@xmission.com