Subject: Re: Termcap & {n,}curses
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@owl.dol-esa.gov>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1995 16:41:08
On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Kenneth Stailey wrote:

> 	The only real problem I can see is the fact it runs on terminfo
> 	by default rather than termcap (and its termcap use is... shall
> 	we say, suboptimal - intentionally I believe to encourage people
> 	to use terminfo).
>
> Let's see you put a terminfo entry into your environment like you can
> a termcap one, then we will talk about suboptimal.
>
> ~Ken

	I was refering to the way that ncurses implemented termcap -
	it loads the entire termcap file into memory & then picks out
	the necessary parts (shudder), rather than termcap in general
	compared to terminfo.

	Anyway - I would expect the NetBSD ncurses to sit on top of the
	NetBSD termcap routines which should make everyone happy :)

		David/abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
   <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>