Subject: Re: Problems with -current / i386 - more info
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
From: Sverre Froyen <sverre@sst.nrel.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/1995 10:00:42
Jukka Marin writes:

> gcc reads source files wrong; cmp file file reports errors at random
> locations; tar zxf whines about healthy files.

I observed similar problems on my pc532 when my second disk was
using 4k/512 blocksize.  I traced the bug as far as determining
that random blocks were not being read (meaning, the disk driver
was NOT called upon to read the blocks).  For these (missing)
blocks, random data would appear producing, exactly symptoms that
you describe.  After I noticed that the problem could be circumvented
by using 8k/1k blocks I gave up my active search for the bug.
Reading the BSD4.3 book, I presumed that the bug was in the buffer
cache, but I now gather that the 4.4 disk system is different
and that the bug may be in the file system code.

Sverre

--
Sverre Froyen (+1-303-384-6612; FAX: +1-303-384-6531)
NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory), Golden, CO 80401