Subject: Re: port-amiga/1388: missing declaration for ccd
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@owl.dol-esa.gov>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1995 20:07:57
On Tue, 29 Aug 1995 16:54:08 -0400
 Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@owl.dol-esa.gov> wrote:

 > What is the status of an alternative to dkstat?  Seems that dkstat is
 > looked down upon, but the only alternative put forth is an implicit
 > "run without disk activity statistics."  Not very good if you are
 > trying to evaluate your system's disk performance while running a
 > particular application instead of a disk.

Ummm ... I think you're missing my point ... I would like disk stats to
work ... however, because they're broken, the ccd fails to compile on
several ports.  Neither of these situations is all that good, but the
latter is unacceptable.  Considering that disk stats don't work _anyhow_,
I don't see how turning them off in the ccd is going to really affect
anything.

(Indeed, I _really_ want disk stats to work ... the data they provide
will be quite useful in some of the work I do here at NASA.)

 > P.S. I turn my dkstat back on with a privately maintained patch.

In this case, I'm trying to support the ccd driver, and trying to ensure
that I don't break your privately maintained patch is rather difficult.
You might consider sending it in via send-pr, or something.