Subject: Problems with -current / i386 - more info
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1995 23:09:55
Rehi All,

I have been doing different things on the crashing i486 system and it
seems that disk I/O is unreliable, for some reason or another.  Maybe
the hardware is faulty, maybe NetBSD just doesn't like the hardware.

gcc reads source files wrong; cmp file file reports errors at random
locations; tar zxf whines about healthy files.

Removing the second IDE disk made the system work a bit better, but
not 100% reliably.

We will try again tomorrow on different hardware.  I will report the
results.  Several people have e-mailed to me and told that -current
works fine for them, so I'm beginning to think that this is not a
problem in the -current kernels, but a problem specific to the hard-
ware we are using now.

Thanks to all who have tried to help me.  It's great to see that
NetBSD users want to help each other :-)

  -jm

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---