Subject: Worse problems with -current.. :(
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@teeri.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/1995 15:02:48
Dear All,

I got two new i386 kernels from two persons in the net (thanks!) and tried
them on the i486dx4/16MB/2*540MB IDE system.  The first one (compiled from
950819 source) makes gcc die (signal 4, illegal instruction).  The second
one (compiled in early August) crashed with segmentation fault (kernel
page fault).

With all recent kernels, all kinds of programs are dying after running a
random time.  Ones that have crashed are tcsh, named, httpd, etc.

I believe that some people are running -current without any problems.  In
fact, I had no problems with the same kernel version on my Amiga 3000
yesterday, although I tortured my machine heavily.  The i486 crashes every
time I try to use gcc.

The problem is that the i486 box should be running 24 h/d and it's 250
miles away from here.  Testing kernels is difficult and if the system
enters the kernel debugger, I have to request someone to go and reboot
the system manually.  It seems I got myself into big trouble when I
recommended these people to use NetBSD on this system... ;-) :-(

Any help greatly appreciated,

  Jukka Marin

--

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---