Subject: Re: Has anyone seen "Panic!"?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1995 23:05:09
> I found a seemingly very interesting book called _Panic! - UNIX System
> Crash Dump Analysis_, by Chris Drake and Kimberley Brown from
> Prentice-Hall.
>
> Has anyone seen the book?

Yup.

> If so, how much of the book is applicable to NetBSD?  I know that
> Solaris 1 and 2 are the primary targets but the authors tried to
> make the book as generic as possible.  But I can't tell how
> successful they are, just from browsing through the book in a local
> book store.

I don't think they were very successful. I was kind of unhappy with
the level of the book wrt SunOS and Solaris, and it seems even less
useful for NetBSD. It does have a decent explanation of sparc register
windows and a few other things, but not in direct application to
debugging core dumps.

Further, the majority of the book is about using adb and adb macros
to do your debugging, which you can't do under NetBSD (just gdb).

--
John Hawkinson
jhawk@panix.com