Subject: finger slowness
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@kludge.psc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1995 20:53:54
I have recently converted my project's main login machine from a
Decstation 5000/25 running Ultrix to a P90 running NetBSD-current.  There
are over 1100 accounts in /etc/passwd on these machines (I still have the
Ultrix machine hanging around as an emergency backup).  "finger"ing a
user on the NetBSD machine is much much slower than the same operation
on the Ultrix machine (10 seconds vs. .5 seconds!)  I wrote a simple
C program to cycle through all users on each machine using getpwent().
Again, it ran in ~10 seconds under Net and ~.3 seconds under Ultrix.

I'm not sure if the slowness is due to the dbm implementation or what,
but it is making NetBSD look very bad here :-).  Anyone know why Net
is so slow or whether this can be fixed?

	-Kevin Sullivan