Subject: Re: ZIP drives
To: None <explorer@iastate.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/1995 15:53:50
> Is anyone else playing with one of these little buggers?

I have SyQuest's somewhat feeble attempt to compete with them, the EZ135...

> If so, I'd like to discuss working on a removable media system of
> some sort so these drives can be used without root access.

The simplest possible arrangement is to leave the device files unprotected,
and insist on using DOS format filesystem on them via mtools (there's a
version of mtools which reads a descriptor file rather than having the
floppy parameters canned in).

I use a pair of setuid wrappers to mount the cartridges and unmount them;
"mount_cartridge" turns into "mount -o nosuid,noexec,nodev /dev/sd4a /mnt"
and "unmount_cartridge" into "umount /dev/sd4a", but I'm effectively the only
user on my system, so the gaping security holes in this which I haven't
bothered to figure out yet are irrelevant...