Subject: Re: Problems with telnet
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/1995 17:47:53
> > 3. Make sure you are not using an NFS mounted /usr/share from different
> >    endian machine!  Ever since NLS dropped a file with byte-ordering
> >    dependancies into /usr/share according to hier(7) has been corrupted.
> >    I work around it by NFS mounting /usr/share and /usr/share/nls from
> >    separate areas.
>
> This would seem to imply that perhaps NLS should not be in /usr/share
> but in /usr/libdata or some such.

This was a problem I was hoping to fix before anyone noticed.  I think
that shared message catalogs are an important feature, because a full
set would be quite large.

I'm going to completely replace the Alfalfa implementation we currently
use with something patterned after the Svr4 message catalog format.  The
message catalog will be smaller, can be sucked in with mmap in one hunk,
messages are easier to find, the library code is about 20% the size, etc.

I have the library code written.  All I have to do is to update gencat
to output the new format.

	--jtc